- March, 2016 Elliott Biondo is the lead author on
a new paper “Shutdown dose rate analysis with CAD geometry,
Cartesian/tetrahedral mesh, and advanced variance reduction”
published in Fusion Engineering and Design.
- February 18, 2016 Dr. Meghan McGarry authors a blog post for The Union
of Concerned Scientists titled Integrating Nuclear
Science and Policy for a New Generation.
The post describes her experience at the Pugwash Conference
and general takeaways on the communication between nuclear scientists and
- January 28, 2016 The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and
Medicine releases a report on
“Reducing the Use of Highly Enriched Uranium in Civilian Research Reactors”.
Paul Wilson was one of the report authors and
participated in the webinar release.
- April 10, 2016 CNERG is looking for a new research assistant in
Synthetic Image Generation for Nuclear Non-proliferation. We anticipate that a successful
candidate may come from one of many different fields of science and
- October 2015 CNERG begins participation in a new project that will
measure the spatial flux distribution during a pulse of the UW Nuclear
Reactor by developing a new MCNP model for simulation.
- Fall 2015 New students Nancy Granda-Duarte and
Young Hui Park join the CNERG Neutronics group.
- June 10, 2015 CNERG offers first ever Cyclus user tutorial at ANS
Annual Meeting in San Antonio, TX.
- May 26, 2015 As part of our collaboration in the
Consortium for Verification Technology,
CNERG has funding available to support a
Project or Research Assistant in the area of
social-behavioral modeling of nuclear proliferation, starting immediately!
- April 14, 2015 CNERG staff member
Anthony Scopatz accepts a faculty position at the
University of South Carolina. We’ll be sad to see him go, but offer a hearty
- March 26, 2015 Matthew Gidden successfully
defends his PhD dissertation, “An Agent-Based Modeling Framework and
Application for the Generic Nuclear Fuel Cycle”
- March 23, 2015 Vincent Cloitre joins CNERG on a 5 month internship from
France to study the economic aspects of fuel cycle transitions.
- November 11, 2014 A number of presentations at the 2014 ANS Winter
meeting features CNERG work including:
- Carlsen, et al, “Deployment Optimization with the CYCLUS Fuel Cycle Simulator”
- Bates, et al, “PyNE Progress Report”
- Biondo, et al, “Quality Assurance within the PyNE Open Source Toolkit”
- October 21, 2014 Kerry Dunn has completed her PhD thesis on “Monte Carlo
Mesh Tallies based on a Kernel Density Estimator Approach”
- September 1, 2014 Dr. Meghan McGarry joins
CNERG as a post-doctoral associate to contribute to adapting
Cyclus for use in nuclear security applications.
- May 30, 2014 CNERG releases v1.0.0 of Cyclus kernel
- April 15, 2014 CNERG undergraduate researcher Kalin Kiesling was awarded an ANS Graduate Scholarship for the
2014-2015 academic year. Congratulations!!
- April 12, 2014 CNERG graduate researcher and NSF Fellow Arrielle
Opotowsky has been selected to attend the one-week
intensive course on nuclear safeguards policy and information analysis to be
held in early June at the The James Martin Center for Nonproliferation
- March 31, 2014 CNERG is seeking a post-doctoral associate in the area of
agent-based fuel cycle optimization.
- March 24, 2014 A video of the Cyclus project was recently selected as a winner in the
University of Wisconsin-Madison’s Cool Science Image contest: